What a week of possibilities!
Certainly this could apply to your business/job/career opportunities, but it also applies to the sports conversations at your disposal. Between basketball and hockey playoffs and talk of the NFL draft to the items listed below. Relationships don’t happen without conversations to plan to have a few productive chats this week.
- Boston Marathon
- Mike Woodson
- Albert Pujols
- Northwestern Football
- Matt Kuchar
Why They’re Making News:
- The Boston Marathon is currently underway. It is the 118th running, but the significance this year is due to the tragic events that unfolded with the bombings at last year’s race. A total of 35,755 runners entered the race this year, which is the second-largest field in race history.
- In the NBA, Mike Woodson is out as head coach of the New York Knicks. New team president Phil Jackson made the announcement Monday. It’s the first big move in Jackson’s tenure with the Knicks.
- In baseball, Albert Pujols starts the week two home runs away from 500 career homers. He belted two homers in two days last week so number 500 could come any day. When it happens Pujols will be the 26th player in baseball history to join the 500 club.
- In college football, the Northwestern football team will vote this week on whether to form a union. It’s quite possible we won’t know the results of the vote for a while due to the legal process, but if the players vote to unionize it will dramatically change college sports.
- In golf, Matt Kuchar won the RBC Heritage on Sunday. He’s been knocking at the door of a win over the last month, and finally broke through this week thanks to an incredible chip-in on the 18th hole and a final round 64.
Jen Mueller, America’s Expert Talker, is the sideline reporter for the World Champion Seattle Seahawks. She also works on the television broadcasts for the Seattle Mariners. Jen is the author of Game Time: Learn to Talk Sports in 5 Minutes a Day for Business.. Her step-by-step process makes sports accessible and practical for relationship building in business. The book is available through Amazon.