Once again football dominates the story lines this week. It makes sense when you look at the TV ratings and realize many people watch the NFL every week. The NFL provides some of the most popular sports talking points these days. It’s tough to cover all the big stories here, but it’s a start.
- Mike Shanahan
- LeSean McCoy
- Rob Gronkowski
- BCS Championship
- Kobe Bryant
Why They’re Making News:
- Washington Redskins head coach Mike Shanahan has been on the hot seat for couple weeks, and now it’s rumored that he could be fired as early as Monday. Washington lost 45-10 to Kansas City on Sunday.
- Philadelphia running back LeSean McCoy set a franchise record Sunday by running for 217 yards against Detroit. The accomplishment is even more impressive when considering he did it in the middle of a blizzard. Also in the game, Philadelphia quarterback Nick Foles threw his first interception of the season, but the Eagles still won big.
- New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski torn his ACL Sunday. His injury is a tough blow for the offense. Gronk, as he’s often called, had just returned following back and forearm surgeries.
- College football games last Saturday determined which teams would be playing for the national title. Florida State and Auburn are the top two teams in the BCS standings, which means they will play in the BCS championship game January 6. With the regular season completed, the rest of the college football games will be bowl games.
- Kobe Bryant made his season debut Sunday night against Toronto. It’s the first game-action for Kobe since tearing his Achilles tendon earlier this year. He is still working his way back to 100% but his return to the court is a good sign.
Jen Mueller, America’s Expert Talker, is the author of Game Time: Learn to Talk Sports in 5 Minutes a Day for Business. After 13 years in sports broadcasting, Jen wrote the go-to resource for novice and first-time sports fans in the business world.